Tuesday, March 29, 2022


Know Your Rights: March 2022

1.    Air passenger rights in the European Union. 1

2.    Tenants’ rights. 2

3.    Getting your deposit back from your landlord. 3

4.    The Foreign Births Register 4


Air passenger rights in the European Union

Question: My flight was cancelled, what am I entitled to from the airline?

Answer: The airline must give you a choice of:

·         Re-routing to your final destination at the earliest opportunity or at a later date if you prefer

·         A refund of the cost of your ticket within 7 days

You may also be entitled to compensation.  It depends on when you were notified about the cancellation.

My flight is delayed, what am I entitled to?

You must be offered free meals and refreshments If your flight is delayed for:

·         2 hours or more and is for a distance of 1500 km or less

·         3 hours or more and is for a distance of  1500 km or less within the EU,  and between 1500 and 3500 km outside the EU

·         4 hours or more in the case of all other flights

You must be offered free hotel accommodation if you need to stay overnight for one night or more, as well as transport between the hotel and the airport. You must be offered two free telephone calls, fax messages, or emails.

What if the flight is delayed for 5 hours or more?

Then you must be offered a full refund.

What if I get upgraded or downgraded?

If you are offered an upgrade, the airline cannot charge you anything extra. If you agree to be downgraded, the airline must reimburse you a percentage of the difference in price between your original seat price and the new seat price.


Read more about Air passenger rights in the European Union on citizensinformation.ie https://bit.ly/3v5Fzb3, or call us on 0818 07 4000 (Monday to Friday, 9am to 8pm).


Tenants’ rights

Question: My private rented accommodation is damp and mouldy. Does the landlord have to fix this?

Answer: Yes, your landlord has a legal duty to make sure that your home meets certain minimum physical standards. This includes keeping it in a proper state of structural repair and free from damp.

Does my landlord have to provide a washing machine?

Yes, your landlord must provide you with access to a washing machine, and a clothes-dryer if your home does not have a private garden or yard.

Some of the other things they must provide include:

·         A 4-ring hob with oven and grill

·         A cooker hood or extractor fan

·         A microwave oven

·         A sink with hot and cold water

·         A well ventilated bathroom which is in a separate room from the living quarters

·         A fixed heating appliance in each room which you can control

·         Vermin-proof rubbish storage facilities

Is my landlord responsible if my possessions are damaged because of an issue with the property, for example, if the pipes burst?

While the landlord is responsible for keeping the building in good repair they are not generally responsible for any damage to your possessions. Several insurance companies provide contents insurance for private tenants.

What should I do if my house does not meet the minimum standards?

First speak to your landlord about the problem. Put your complaint in writing and include as many details as possible, including photographs, videos and any receipts for repairs you did at your own expense. If your landlord refuses to carry out the necessary repairs, you should report them to your local authority.

Read more about standards for rented accommodation on citizensinformation.ie https://bit.ly/3srvjIw, or call us on 0818 07 4000 (Monday to Friday, 9am to 8pm).


Getting your deposit back from your landlord


Question: I am moving out of my rented accommodation, when will I get my deposit back?

Answer: If you haven’t broken your tenancy agreement, you should get your deposit back soon after you move out. The landlord may need time to inspect or repair the property. You should expect to get your deposit back within two weeks of moving out, though this is not a legal requirement.

Can my landlord keep my deposit?

Your landlord can only keep your deposit for the following reasons:

  • Rent arrears (unpaid or outstanding rent)
  • Unpaid bills
  • Damage to the property above normal wear and tear
  • You did not give adequate notice

What should I do if the landlord tells me they will not return my deposit because the property is damaged?

Your landlord can only keep your deposit if the property is damaged above what is considered normal wear and tear.

If you don’t have photos of the property from when you moved in and out, you should ask for photographic evidence of the damage from the landlord. If they say the repairs have been done ask to see the receipts for the work. Keep a record of all your correspondence.

What do I do next if my landlord still won’t return my deposit?

You can make a complaint to the Residential Tenancies Board (RTB). The RTB deals with most disputes between landlords and tenants, rather than the courts. You can apply for dispute resolution by mediation on the RTB’s website for free.

Read more about resolving a dispute with your landlord on citizensinformation.ie 👉 https://bit.ly/3HPYdr0, or call us on 0818 07 4000 (Monday to Friday, 9am to 8pm).

The Foreign Births Register


Question:  I wasn’t born in Ireland but I want to claim citizenship by descent from my Irish relatives. What are the rules?

Answer: You are eligible to claim Irish citizenship by descent if:

·         One of your grandparents was born in Ireland


·         One of your parents was an Irish citizen at the time of your birth but was not born in Ireland

If you meet either of these qualifications, you can become an Irish citizen by registering your birth with the Foreign Births Register.

What documents do I need to register my birth with the Foreign Births Register?

You need to have documents of your own and documents relating to your Irish relative. You should provide your own:

·         Birth certificate

·         State-issued identification

·         Two proofs of address

·         4 photographs

And you also need your Irish grandparent or parents:

·         Birth certificate(s)

·         Current state-issued identification (or their death certificate if they are deceased)

More documents may be needed depending on your situation (for example, if you have changed your name or you were adopted).

What is the cost?

The fees are:

·         €278 for an adult

·         €158 for a child

I am an Irish citizen by birth but my child was not born in Ireland. Should I register their birth on the Foreign Births Register?

No, your child is automatically an Irish citizen. You can simply apply for an Irish passport for your child. 

Read more about the Foreign Births Register on citizensinformation.ie 👉 https://bit.ly/3Ih9II9, or call us on 0818 07 4000 (Monday to Friday, 9am to 8pm).



Know Your Rights has been compiled by South Connacht Citizens Information Service CLG, which provides a free and confidential service to the public.

Tel: 0818 07 6330 Address: Boyle CIC, Elphin Street, Boyle, Co. Roscommon

Information is also available online at citizensinformation.ie and from the Citizens Information Phone Service, 0818 07 4000.

No comments:

Post a Comment