Saturday, May 25, 2019

Know Your Rights: Recognition of your qualifications

Know Your Rights: Recognition of your qualifications

I am returning to Ireland from Australia where I have been working and living for the last 10 years. I received my degree from the University of Melbourne. I want to do a Masters in Ireland on my return. Can I use my foreign degree to apply for a place in a third level course?
You should first check with the admissions office of your chosen 3rd level institution to see if they will accept your degree for admission to the Masters. 
NARIC Ireland also provides free advice on the academic recognition of foreign qualifications in Ireland. The service compares a foreign qualification to an Irish qualification of a similar type and level on the Irish National Framework of Qualifications (NFQ). The NARIC Ireland foreign qualifications database has details of over 1100 qualifications from over 140 countries. You can download a Comparability Statement which compares your qualifications to an award type and level in the context of the Irish National Framework of Qualifications. If your qualification is not currently listed you can request recognition advice for your foreign award by emailing them directly. Visit for more information. 
Make sure you have original copies of your degree (parchment) and exam transcripts before leaving Australia, as you will have to submit these with your application to the college and/or the NARIC.  

Know Your Rights has been compiled by South Connacht Citizens Information Service CLG, which provides a free and confidential service to the public.
Tel: 0761 07 6330 Address: Boyle CIC, Elphin Street, Boyle, Co. RoscommonInformation is also available online at and from the Citizens Information Phone Service, 0761 07 4000.

No comments:

Post a Comment